More Than 110 Years of Ambitious, Creative Education
In 1907, Polytechnic School became the first nonprofit, independent school in Southern California, enrolling 106 students in kindergarten through eighth grade. True to its name and to the educational philosophy of the day, Poly’s curriculum emphasized both academics and manual arts — from English and math to sewing and woodworking.
The original school buildings were designed by renowned architect Myron Hunt and feature his revolutionary “open air” school design with residential-scale classrooms and adjacent courtyards and playgrounds. These buildings continue to form the heart of the Lower and Middle School campus more than a century later.
Fifty years after the school’s founding, the decision was made to expand the educational program through the 12th grade. Poly’s Upper School campus opened in 1959, and in 1962, the first senior class graduated.
Today, Poly remains an ambitious, forward-thinking school community — one devoted not only to scholarship but also to the creative arts, the camaraderie of team sports, the joy of service to others, and the welcoming spirit of friendship — here on our historic campus and around the world.